My life is a game of Chutes & Ladders, and I’ve just
fallen from square #62 to square #19. It’s over a year since I lost my job. Sixty-eight
applications, sixteen interviews, fifty-seven years old. Climbing up, sliding
down.
I want a new game. Looking at the list of Amazon’s bestsellers
I do not recognize the names of the first 13 on a list of 100. (How did I get
so out of touch!) But I like the sounds of this one: Ticket to Ride.
The goal of Ticket to Ride is to visit as many cities in
North America as you can in seven days. As fun and exciting as that would be to
do, I have no money, and Unemployment restricts me from being out of the area
for three days. I need another 7-day challenge.
In my files I have an 18-year old novel in need of a major
overhaul. By this time next week, I challenge myself to:
1) Read the whole thing without too much cringing and self-flagellation.
2) Make a revision plan.
3) Edit at least 30 pages.
doing all those 4 things by the end of the week is a big climb on the ladder indeed. But just don't look back! Keep going and you will rise up in the end no matter how far down you are.
ReplyDelete